Sunday, May 5, 2013

Happy Michigan Anniversary to ME!


Holy cannoli --- it is May 5th. This day, last year, I had my Penske loaded up, my boys (pets) drugged and kenneled in the front, and I was making the long trek from Dallas, Texas to Lansing, Michigan. It was such a bittersweet day, saying goodbye to the only state I'd ever lived in, on a new adventure. My sweet parents went out of town, as they didn't want to be around to see me leave (needless to say -- they weren't so much on board). 
My room at home -- all packed and clean.

Little did I know how much of an adventure I was starting :) 

If I knew what I now know, I would probably not be here...which makes me so happy that I took the chance and huge leap of faith by coming here. Did it turn out like I expected? No. But the Lord has provided me wonderful friends, a job that I love with littles I LIVE for, and a school program that I enjoy thoroughly at Michigan State.

 The phrase,"If God brings you to it, He will see you through it" has never resonated like it has this entire last year. Not only was I able to make a choice that I knew was rooted in Gods will, I was able to really flourish and grow here on my own, which is an opportunity not everyone gets. I will forever be grateful for this experience, and I've got a year left :)

That's not to say I haven't had hard times, I mean come on...
I picked up my life and moved to Michigan to go to school and be closer to my then-boyfriend. Well...when that wasn't working, I was so mad at myself.
I'd barely even been here in Michigan.
I mean, it was still summer...yikes. 
I was so embarrassed because I knew everyone saw this happening, and felt like my dirty laundry was being aired for everyone to see. I did feel like a failure. Now it sounds silly, but that's only because I've moved past it. I'm no longer angry, because I made the choice not to be. I decided to stay and continue with grad school and make the most with what I had going for me: school. With that being said...

This year -- I have:
Joined a running group that I thoroughly enjoy and have gotten to know so many great people through a common love of running. And eating afterwards lol I have continued to make fitness and healthy eating a priority, which adds so much to my overall well-being.

 
Showing my parents around my new home! 

 
Explored downtown Chicago and ran my second half marathon solo -- which was such a wonderful experience -- and PR'd at 2:05:something.


Appropriately dressed for a REAL winter -- and survived it, too!

Spent my first birthday without my family and home-friends, and celebrated 25 with some new forever-friends without crying or getting (too) homesick!  


Met this girl -- who happens to be one of my favorites. 


Met this handsome fella, who I love very much. 

I've missed some things too..like my friends and family.
My youngest brother's prom and state competition, seeing my little cousin Brock grow faster than a weed, enjoying family dinners and my home church, having to taking my dog back home because my schedule made it too hard to give him the attention he deserved, etc etc etc.
The list could go on and on and on. But, I can honestly say the good outweighs all the bad, and at the end of the day, what else could we hope for? I have learned to listen to my heart, and trust my gut.

I've also learned that true friends are hard to find, and I'm so blessed to have found some here as well as hold on tightly to the ones at home.

Here's to another year in the mitten :) 

5 comments:

  1. Kathryn! You are such an inspiration, girl! I'm so proud of all that you've done - and all that I know you will do! Keep listening to your heart and following after God! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristy! Miss you, love that we have kept in touch :) Cannot believe how big your kiddos are getting! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this, Kat! :) So proud of you and love you so much! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl!! Loved reading YOUR story :) And I can't help but think if you hadn't moved to Michigan...I would have never had the chance to 'MEET' you on IG!! And...I get to MEET you for REAL very soon!!!!!!! Even if only for a hug and a few minutes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How quickly a year flies!! Cannot even put into words how happy I am that I didn't buy the right DSM ;) Also so happy that I've been able to be a part of your Michigan experience and the many future experiences as well! :) <3

    ReplyDelete