Thursday, March 7, 2013

For the Love of: Fitness


So many people run because they like it. I really do, but I didn't always. It started out as simply a weight loss means to an end, as it does with most people. But now, I run because I love it. I love getting new running outfits or shoes, to register for races and set new goals, to feel like part of a larger community of runners, to feel fab after a long run, or to increase my speed. What inspires someone to start running?  Better yet, what makes someone keep running?

 I graduated college, started my new job as a social worker in a Medicare rehab facility, and moved out with my then-boyfriend -- all within the same month. Talk about overload. I didn't realize the adjustment to actual adulthood would be so difficult, but it was. I started gaining weight a little before graduation (thanks to my study abroad experience being awesome with OMG-OOD food) --  but really it was the first six months of working full time that I packed on the pounds. 

I didn't work out, I didn't watch what I ate or how much of it I ate. Spoiler alert: it caught up to me. Quick. And stuck to me. Other than my general self esteem, I noticed myself more stressed out and anxious, generally more negative, and feeling gross. Obviously, when I finally jumped on the scale and noticed I was slightly over 140 -- I died. I'd never weighed that. Or ever been close. You can't trick the scales. You can post pictures that make you look skinnier, wear more black, whatever. But the scale means business. And it's not subtle, or kind. It's honest

My coworkers were registering to do the Dallas Marathon in groups in December of 2010, and I joined. My friends and I went through one summer doing 5ks a lot, so I knew I could do my 5m leg easily. I started working out, and I just kept going! I didn't lose a lot of weight working up to my 5 mile race, but it certainly jump started my journey. In January, the same group of coworkers and some new ones decided to do a weight loss challenge (general Biggest Loser style) -- and I think it lasted 4 or 6 weeks. I can't remember. Well, I didn't win the contest -- but I did lose almost 15 pounds. I was doing to cardio kickboxing 3x a week and spinning 3x a week with a friend. I was in love. Not only with the classes, but I had a total lezzie crush on the cardio kickboxing instructor. She was in rockin' shape, and super cute. Plus, she kicked my ass three days a week. Totally made getting up at 4:45AM worth it.

 So, I'd lost about 25 pounds at this point, and decided to start incorporating weights in order to gain some muscle and put some healthy weight back on. 

The following December I did my first half marathon (2011).  

After that I started and finished the Insanity program.

September of 2012 I did the Chicago half and shaved over 20 minutes off my time. 


I'm doing the Bayshore this May, and hope to finally reach my goal time of under 2:00:00. YEAYUH.

And this is where I'm at:

Early Dec 2010          January 2013

Aside from feeling comfortable and confident in my own skin -- which is enough of a reason to exercise right there -- my anxiety has decreased so much so that I haven't had a panic attack in over a year and a half. I sleep better (and less), I have found friends through running socially (which also adds accountability), and I'm healthyDisclaimer: my happiness is not solely due to running and exercise. Let's be clear about that, it isn't a magic wand. But my commitment and loyalty to taking care of myself has been the best thing I have ever done. Somewhere it stopped being about the weight, but the joy I found when I started taking care of me

Do what makes you happy, today and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment