Thursday, February 28, 2013

"Running Season" is coming!!!


Y'all -- March is fiiiiinally (almost) HERE! (praise the Lord -- the end of winter is in sight!) -- and for me, that marks the beginning of running season :) I couldn't be more excited about hitting the pavement rather than the...belt on the treadmill. One of my goals for 2013 is to also do a triathlon, so I guess for me it's also "tri season" :) I'm set for the Bay Shore in Traverse City May 25th, and I'm SO excited about seeing a new city this way. P.S. - I realize all the Texans have been able to run all winter, and I don't want to hear about it. It really irritates the shit out of me, as I sit in the freezing ass cold up here. 

I AM that crazy planner that prints out a calendar with my different runs/cross train/yoga days on it, so I can mark them off as I go. Some think that's weird, but it's my very own "pat on the back" every day when I can check DONE every day.

My apartment "gym" is a joke -- and Saturday I had to kill a huge spider (for those of you who know me, you know I don't do spiders. Ever). There's one treadmill that works, and one cross-trainer that works. Everything else is awful. They don't even have free weights. Ok, ok -- rant over. But, just to prove it, here's a pic:
Yeah, I wasn't joking. Pretty sure Jesus used to work out here.

I want to talk about my running Must Have products/eats and drinks, because I am just THAT excited.

Running Shoes/footwear:

- Asics or Brooks. All the way. I'm planning on trying Mizuno's next -- so opinion pending.
 Word of advice: GET "fitted" for  your shoes! Go to a specialty running store with a lot of shoe options (Like Luke's Locker in Dallas, or Playmakers here in Michigan) and ask someone to look at your stride to figure out what type of shoe you need. This is dependent upon what kind of feet you have (flat feet, high arch, or a neutral foot). I have to wear stability shoes. I'm currently running in Brooks Adrenaline 12, and this is my second pair. That means love.
Socks: Thorlos for regular temps. They've got extra padding on the balls of the feet, which I love. They fit perfect, and that's hard sometimes with midget-sized feet. Smart Wool socks have been a dream for my colder runs, but they make socks for all seasons.

Running Gear:
- I love my Nathans belt. Ok, fanny pack/belt/water holder combo. It's pink. And it holds my stuff without digging into my sides, and it stays put. Can't complain. My dad got it for me before my first half, and I appreciate it/him every time I use it :)
- Body Glide -- amazing when you sweat and chafe on long runs, which I did a lot before learning about the right materials to run in. You're welcome for all this extra info :) But seriously, it's saved me a few times.
- I love my Nike and UA gear, but as I've said several times, I'm a second-time student and have to be thrifty. Therefore, I have to say, old navy and Target have decent workout clothes -- I have several, super cute outfits from there that I've had for over a year and still look like new. Also, my friend Kelly recently told me about 6 P.M. -- they sell "past seasons colors" of name brand stuff! Love it. Also, Department of Goods is a good website with the same concept.
- GET A ROLLER. Like, yesterday. They are amazing. They soothe sore muscles, aid stretching, and increase blood flow/circulation. STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH (says the girl that doesn't stretch properly).
- If you run outside a lot, seriously look into getting a RoadID. They're great, especially if/when you want to run sans phone. You can get the bracelet or buy one that attaches to your shoes. My parents got me one for Christmas a few years ago, and I almost always remember to slap it on before I hit the road. They even make some for dogs, too!
- I have yet to find a great headband, but I know that Skinny Meg likes Brady Bands. Again, I've not tried them, and the ones I've tried in the past never stay on, which is why I don't have a favorite. Ordered some Brady Bands this week though to test these babies out on my big head! I love that 10% of proceeds go towards childhood cancer research. Sold.
- As for sports bras, I stick with the C9 ones at Target. I love them, and my ladies are regular sized, so I don't have any special needs in that department :)
- I just invested in a Polar Womens FT4F. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I was in desperate need of a heart rate monitor watch (wayyy past due!). And lately I've been loving pink, which is not like me at all? Weird. Waiting for it to show up in the mail!

Eats:
- Gel/juice/etc: Gu. Love the brand. The texture still grosses me out (think room temp pudding, yum?) but they're easy to pack and they do give me the extra boost once I up my mileage. If I'm running more than 7 I will take one with me to "eat" (AKA slurp up) around mile 5. Directions suggest every hour. When I did my first half I took one at mile 5 and mile 9. The blocks are okay, but hard to chew when you're getting your run on. There are several other brands, but I prefer Gu.
- I also stick with one water bottle and one gatorade with my long runs, especially when it's hot out. Or if you sweat like a man, which I do.
- Make sure that you are taking in enough protein and complex carbs. If not you could feel sickly or binge eat. I love my sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes piled with veggies/salsa.
- Running gives me some sort of IBS. I'm not joking -- I used to do a loop so I could either stop off at home mid-run (around mile 5-6) or make sure there were bathrooms that I could jet into. And y'all -- sometimes those portapotties are awful. So, I've learned to take some sort of anti-diarrheal medicine pre-long runs (just once a week). It helps and doesn't mess me up otherwise.

- tips: i get irritated when I buy running jackets or expensive tops that don't have pockets -- this may just be me -- but I've learned to double check before buying stuff. Pockets are necessary in my opinion.
- if you're training for a big(ger) race for the first time, i highly recommend Hal Hidgon's training plan (for halfs) and have heard a lot of success stories about the Couch to 5k program for beginners. Also, a lot of specialty running stores do training groups if you need the extra motivation, or join a running Meetup group like I did :) Seriously improved my pace late last summer/early fall.

Hopefully I didn't bore anyone to tears with my running talk (: Feel free to comment below with your running must haves! Please know I am no expert, just someone who gets excited about Spring and running here and like hearing myself talk. Ok, love hearing myself talk.

Toodles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment