Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yearnin' for Fall Yarn Wreath


Ok guys -- fall is here - with the fickle weather and all :) I wanted to do a wreath that is versatile and can be used throughout the year if desired.



Supplies: foam wreath (mine was 10 inches), yarn (I got the cheapest kind I could find, it was $6. Note: I bought two, however only used one), hot glue gun (or Fabritack [not shown]), fabric cutting scissors, felt (.35 cents a sheet!), felt balls or buttons for the center of the flowers. Not shown: highlighter/marker/pen for tracing.



Step One: Print out a template for a felt 3D flower. Mine was a poppy flower template found on good ole google. And I have found other poppy templates I will try later. Anyhow --



Using your desired writing utensil, trace the template. Then cut out the pieces. TIP: Cut INSIDE of the outline, that way you don't have any of your highlighter/pen/pencil on your cutout. Cut out all of the pieces (there are 4 layers, and one leaf that is optional).



They will end up looking like so. Beautimus! This really doesn't take much time. From there, take your hot glue gun and attach the four layers. Then, attach the center of our flower (felt ball/button/whatever you pick!) using the hot glue gun. I am officially in love with these.



Now on to the wreath part. Get ready to use up a lot of your patience. This will take a lot of time, so I suggest doing this over the span of 2-4 days. I think I worked on it for 3 days, a little at a time. Tie the wreath around the wreath, then wrap it around several times. You want to keep the yarn tight and try to keep it neat. Mine didn't start out so neat, so that's where I placed my flowers :)



It gets easier and more neat as it goes. Just to reiterate - this takes quite some time...in order to keep it fun, spread it out over a few days or longer. I used the whole package of yarn. Make sure you can't see any of the underlying white of the wreath. The good thing about it is you can adjust as you go. And - I made sure I kept my yarn in place by using my thumb as I wrapped it.




TADAHHHHHH!!! I want to make a few with other colors. This is a fairly inexpensive gift and it's always better to get a CUTE handmade gift than a cheapie bought gift.

Until next time --
stay crafty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment